Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Reboot!

Ok... I am really bad at blogging! But I'm going to begin publishing these on my news feed, hoping that the public accountability will make me better at it!

Just a quick background about it- I've always been on the higher side of "average" or overweight side.  A little over a year ago I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I decided to do something about it.

In 2011, I challenged myself to run 12 road races that year.  I ended up doing the following:

5k: 8
5 miler: 1
10k: 1
20k: 1
Half marathon: 1

I was NEVER a runner, but something called the Disney Princess Half Marathon changed that.  When I first saw it, I immediately wanted to do it, but could not imagine keeping a 16 minutes per mile pace over 13.1 miles.

Then, last July, one of my friends asked me if I would run the Long Island Diva's Half marathon with her, to which I agreed.  My running, which usually consisted of me half assing until about 2 weeks before a race because I was too tired/hungry/cold/busy to do it otherwise.  I stepped up my training because while I knew that I could BS my 5k's, I could NOT BS a half marathon.

Unfortunately, I injured myself during the New Haven 20k Road Race over Labor Day weekend, which pretty much took me out of training for 2 months (pro tip: Doing a half marathon while still recovering from an injury in orthotics that you've never exercised in before means that you end up walking most of it.).

I now am a running fool.  Year to date in 2012, I have completed 7 half marathons (#8 is this weekend), a trail 8k (that ended up being closer to  6 miles, since I got lost during it thanks to my *wonderful* sense of direction), and a 4 miler.  I plan on adding in 2 more half marathons, a Turkey Trot 5k, and my first FULL marathon will be this November in Philadelphia.

I hope to fill this blog with my feelings, thoughts, lessons, tips on running, fitness, and nutrition!

Thanks and join me for the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment